Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Around here

One thing I have learned from doing TDY's is that it is easier to "protect" the furniture than pay for it later.  So the first chance we got, the kids and I walked to Walmart to pick up some vinyl tablecloths.  I put one under the table to protect the carpet, one on top of the table to protect the wood and cut the 3rd up to cover the chairs.  It may look tacky, but it is so worth the peace of mind it gives me.  Luckily the living room furniture is easy clean-up (even if it is cream colored).  I know because D managed to get pen on the couch the first week we were here.

We are staying in a two bedroom apartment, and AJ refused to share a room with boys so I convinced her that it would be really fun to have her own "den" with a flashlight and air mattress in the walk-in closet.  That was cool for about half a night until a bug crawled under the door. Then she was done with the closet.  D ended up with his sleeping bag in our closet so after the bug incident AJ took her blanket and pillow and joined him there.  
3 weeks later AP is on the couch, AJ is in the bed, and D is still in his sleeping bag on our closet floor.While sleeping arrangements may not be ideal, and space is a little limited, we are getting along fine. D has probably adapted best of all and hasn't expressed any dissatisfaction.  He has made a few comments like,  "remember how our old house had stairs inside, but this one doesn't?" and  "Remember how I used to sleep in a bed, but now I don't." He notes differences but not in a negative way and his full assessment is captured in this comment:  "Mommy I LOVE this house.  It has boing things.  See a boing thing there and a boing thing there and a boing thing there. Three boing things together so the wall won't fall down. AND the doors will boing everytime they shut hard. I LOVE that Mommy, don't you?"  

During the week we stay busy with... electronics of course!  We don't have cable at home so it's a real treat to have access to the Disney channel. They each get 1 hour of electronic time a day and can decide whether to use it on TV or video/computer games (they can also combine their time by sharing.  For example, if they play a video game together or watch a show together than that time only counts for one of them.  So by working together and agreeing on how to use their time they can end up with double or triple their time for a possible of 3 hours).   They also have to do a lesson from their workbooks everyday and the rest of their time is spent on legos, littlest petshops, very looong walks, visits to the pool, and occasional sight-seeing (we only have the car twice during the week). 


As they are quick to lament, even though we are on vacation, it's not too different than being at home.  But I am just as quick to remind them that they don't have nearly as many chores and they are getting to see and do some pretty cool things. :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks cozy :) And - I love the idea of the plastic tablecloths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking into your vacation home. Almost feel like I am there :)

    ReplyDelete