Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Little Tribute

Last week was spirit week at the Middle School and they based it around the Hunger Games.  AP was chosen as a competitor. The students had to turn in a packet a couple of weeks ago answering questions and completing some challenges.  His packet got the award for "most creative" and that is how he got chosen.  Then they had some qualifying rounds on Tuesday.  He placed first in the Hula Hoop flip (had to get a hula hoop over his head with hands tied behind his back) as well as the cup stacking contest and placed 2nd in the tissue pull.  Wednesday was "Crazy Capitol" day so he went to school in his pj's because, according to him, "I'm so rich I can afford to be lazy."  I agree that true luxury is a day in comfy clothes where I don't have to spend time getting ready.



He was originally assigned to District 6 - transportation, but somehow managed to get reassigned to District 3 - technology. And here is what we came up with for his costume at Friday's final assembly: glow sticks and electric tape (the second picture is me having fun with my camera's special effects)


 These ones that we took in the dark are a little frightening with the glowing red eyes, but he certainly looks like a force to contend with (btw, this bathroom is the darkest room in the house, thus the attractive backdrop).  








Now this is that part that I have debated including, but as my journal, I want this blog to be a realistic portrayal of our life, so here is the outcome (however, you can just skip this part or pretend you didn't read it and comment how awesome it is that he got to compete, because it really I think it really is).  I was a little nervous sending him off Friday morning.   I guess after 10 years experience I have learned to expect some kind of hiccup, but he was so excited and happy about the whole thing that I tried to convince myself I could relax and just enjoy the opportunity.  Yet, I got a phone call from the Vice principal at 1130 saying there had been an "altercation."  Some of the other boys were making fun of his costume and taunting him, and he had gotten into a fight.  I tried to get him calmed down over the phone, but ended up having to go in.  He didn't want to participate anymore and insisted on taking the costume off.  He wanted to go home, but I encouraged him to stay and compete without the costume, talking about the importantance of following through with things even when they are hard, and how doing things even when it's hard makes us stronger, etc, etc.  Maybe I should have accepted that this was just asking too much and taken him home, but I can't let him give up, and I can't rid the hope that at some point we will be able to participate in things like school assemblies and that we will be better because of it.  So he decided to stay and do the assembly and I told him I would be back in time to watch.  Right after I got home he called in a panic saying he needed his costume back on, and I needed to come right then because all of the other tributes were gathered and they all had costumes and he couldn't participate without his costume.  So I hurried back over to the school to help him get his costume put back together before the assembly started.  Then I did a lot of silent praying that regardless of what happened in the assembly it could be a good experience; that he would stay calm, that he would think through things, and that he wouldn't react or cause a scene in front of the whole school.

I was worried during the first round as I could see him starting to get worked up, but he stayed calm and got into the second round.  He made it through the second round fine, but got out on the third which was a partner egg race.  He and his partner finished last and he wasn't happy but was ok until his classmates chose his female counterpart  to continue on instead of him.  Then he was very upset and I could tell he was really having a hard time keeping it together.  He walked off angrily but sat down with the other kids that had been eliminated.  I could see his internal struggle and was worried he would lose it at any moment.  I was trying to figure out how I would get him out of there without causing a scene when he approached the principal and asked for permission to leave and go to the bathroom.  He made it out of the gym before having an episode.  It wasn't pleasant for him or me, but at least it wasn't happening in front of the entire student body.  The fact that he made it until he was out of the gym before losing it was huge relief and great improvement for him.  He was very disappointed, but in the end  was able to focus on the fun part and was glad he did it.  So I think, with hindsight on our side, we can say it was a good experience and a success.

2 comments:

  1. Love the Pjs and I Love the costume. But I LOVE my boy even more :). I hope AP never gives up. Life is so darn hard isn't it.

    ReplyDelete