Monday, February 27, 2012

Think Greek

As much as I love our ward theme dinner, and enjoyed doing a table last year, I was not too anxious to volunteer to host this year.  We've had a lot going on and I just didn't feel like I would have the time to get a table put together.  However, my dear friend Denise was put in charge of the whole thing and I found out she was quite lacking for hosts.  Soooo, we went with a Greek theme and pulled this together.  For the centerpiece I used the Greek tea set J inherited from his Grandma (she had gotten on trip to Greece and it depicts various heros in gold leaf).  It was a huge hit and made the table.  Not only did it look awesome it made a great conversation piece.  I picked up some columns at Michaels and Denise was a HUGE help and picked up some greenery, plates, and plastic table cloths for me at the Dollar Store and then helped me decorate.  We had a very busy Saturday and I only had an hour to decorate, so she actually finished up for me when I had to leave.  What a woman!

Here I am with my sweet hubby.  We wore our Halloween costumes from a couple of years ago.  Janay told us to pose like statues so she could take our picture, so this was our attempt...


 The Hales were great sports and donned togas (the dust ruffle and top sheet from their bed)
 Here is our fun group of party goers.  Janay couldn't find a white sheet so she went with gray.  It makes me happy when people make the effort to dress up.

 This is the yummy food.  I made mediterranean chicken and brought pita chips with hummus.  Kriste brought roasted potatoes, Bev made THE MOST delicious Greek salad, and Susan brought fruit salad.

 Sweet Janay found a recipe for Greek honey cake and went to the trouble of making it gluten-free (even after I told her not to).  She  is the best!


Once again we had a great time!  It's always fun to see how creative people get.  There was a Dr. Seuss table and everyone came dressed as a character from his books.  Some of the other themes were Idaho spuds (with a potato bar and Mr. Potato Head centerpieces), Thai, Western, Leprechaun, Fiesta, and an Island Murder Mystery (everything was taped off with caution tape and they had to figure out the mystery before they could eat dinner).  After dinner we had a fun little competition between tables.  J left right after we ate because D has been sick with some kind of stomach bug so we didn't want to leave him for too long. I missed him, but it was a fun night with our wonderful friends. 


3 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of work, but it looks fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute are you two?! It sounds like the night was a success. I love you ward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday I went to return some of the things I had borrowed from Denise and we were laughing about how the people at my table had to look around or over the tea set to have conversation. In our mad rush to decorate we didn't realize how high we had placed the centerpiece. Oops! :)

    ReplyDelete