Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Mount Vernon

I loved Mount Vernon!  I really debated taking the kids because it is an hour away and I am really good at getting lost, but several people had told me it was one of their favorite places and that there was a lot there to interest kids, so I gulped my nerves and we set out.  We got there without any problems and spent hours walking around without even seeing everything.  I was amazed by the vastness of the estate.  AJ and I talked about how awesome it would have been to live there and enjoy being on the water like that along with the awesome gardens, trails, and animals.  We also talked about how impossible it would be to keep it looking so beautiful without the help of A LOT of hard workers.  I just kept thinking how romantic an atmosphere it would have been; just like the movies ;)

Here are the kids in front of the mansion (they are the little specks on the middle porch).  The mansion was added onto many times during Washington's lifetime.  The Washingtons were a very hospitable family and always had guests.  The tour guide said that in the year after Washington resigned as president they housed nearly 700 guests!

No pictures are allowed inside the mansion which I was disappointed over because, aside from the historical value, there were several decorating ideas I would have loved to detail on camera.  Here are AJ and D just outside the Estate.

Waiting in line to see the main living quarters of the mansion. 
D trying to get a "sneak peak" through one of the windows.  He couldn't believe the shutters were wired closed.

The view of the Potomac from the mansions porch.  So beautiful in real life!

Stopping at the wharf on the way to the farm


We were greeted by sheep as we entered the farm

Singing "black sheep, black sheep, have you any wool?"



The greenhouse and upper garden

They all loved this giant old tree



I did get lost on the way home.  I took the wrong fork taking us into the heart of DC (we got a nice up close view of the Capitol Building though), and I could not for the life of me find a ramp going North instead South.  We did eventually make it home and even though we got lost, I'm glad we went.

4 comments:

  1. I love your Mount Vernon pictures! I'm so glad you went. I totally understand about you not wanting to drive there because you were worried you'd get lost. When James was away on TDY and my mom was visiting I wanted to take her, but almost didn't go because I was concerned about the drive. Finally the very day before she left we went. I was also so impressed by what a beautiful place it is and how much there was to see. We got their later in the day and I wished we had more time. Thanks for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a site I would love to visit. Makes me want to head north :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Mount Vernon!! If you ask Linc it's one of his very favorite places! He could talk about the gardens FOREVER! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, I guess Linc and I will have to get together and talk gardens ;). Of course being a gardner, Linc would understand and appreciate a whole lot more than I was able too, but I was amazed by Washington's ability to experiment with the soil and figure out how to run a farm and orchard, not to mention all of the beautiful flowers and greenery!

      Delete