Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Aspergers.

What is it?  An autism spectrum disorder characterized by sensory processing deficits that make it difficult (nearly impossible) for my child to integrate into the social world.  It has been such a struggle as we have tried to help him, to teach him, to give him opportunities.  I don't know whether to continue to push him into a regular "mainstream" setting or to isolate him. I know the general public would prefer I do the latter, but if I do how will he ever have the opportunity to learn to function in society?  I used to pray that this trial would be taken from us.  That somehow we could figure it out, that he would be "healed."  Then I came to realize that healing was not going to come in the form that I want.  That, for us, we still have a lot to learn about people and ourselves and our trial is about acceptance and understanding of our mortal experience and all of it's challenges.   But we still need help and I don't know where to turn for understanding.  I read, I pray, I ponder.  We have sought professional help numerous times only to be told they don't know how or can't help us with our particular issues.  The school administration doesn't know what to do with him and I understand their frustration in having to deal with parents whose children don't understand AP or his issues.  He is bullied daily.  A lot of it real, some of it perceived.  So do I homeschool him to protect him and others?  Do we send him to a private school where there is even less tolerance for misbehavior?  Where he has a better chance of protection from bullying but a greater chance of being expelled when he does react.  I don't know!  None of the options are ideal, but then I guess that is just true to life.  It is such a struggle.  But I am stronger than I was 5 years ago.  Is he?  I think so.  But, I still feel so inadequate a lot of the time, and it is hard to know what to do...

8 comments:

  1. It makes me so sad that he is bullied! Kids can be so mean!! I think you know him better than anyone else, and I'm confident you'll be able to make the decisions that are best for AP and your family. I'll keep you in my prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie, for listening to the ramblings of a crazy lady and for being an understanding and encouraging friend :)

      Delete
  2. Heather for me to offer any trite words would seem ridiculous because I believe a person can't truly comprehend the struggle this must be unless you have lived it yourself. I know you must spend countless hours in prayer and self evaluation over your choices concerning AP. You are a wonderful mother doing your very best!! I look up to you and how I have seen you deal with your situation. (usually with a smile and a positive attitude)

    Bailee had a friend with Aspergers in High School. I wonder if I could put you in contact with his mom if it might be helpful. I know she struggled with many of the same worries and concerns you do. Her son graduated from Riverton High and Bailee and I recently saw him with a missionary tag serving near the Salt Lake Temple. I also know he went to a semester at BYU-I. She might be able to offer suggestions or even a compassionate ear. I realize no two kids are alike but it might be a positive. Let me know if your interested. :) I too will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki I SO appreciate your comments! Nancy Thoreson was telling me about a mentoring program at Riverton. I suggested something like that to the VP at OHMS but don't really know how it works. I have been trying to get info from the district but maybe your friend could give me a parent's perspective? I would like to talk to her. I will try calling you or could you message me on FB? Thank you!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post. As much as my heart hurts for my grandson, to have a mother as wonderful as this great woman is a blessing I will never take lightly. Greatness is not born out of having an "easy" path in life. Sending all my love to this amazing family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciate your words of love and encouragement! Love you so much.

      Delete
  4. Heather!!! You're such a great mom!!! Do what feels right. It is so hard for other people to understand when they know nothing about Aspergers. I see it often and it is a hard thing to deal with at time. But it is also an amazing thing. He is such a special kid!!! Good luck!!! If there is anything I can do let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tish! I would love to hear about your experiences and what you have seen work or not work with your job...

      Delete