Friday, June 24, 2011

The yard (and it's work)

We planted our first garden. I do mean our first garden EVER as a family or married couple for that matter. We got it done LATE, but are proud that we did it. And the kids are really excited so I hope we get something out of it. The corn is the only thing that has popped up so far and that is fun to see. Of course the weeds are out of control and that is not fun. You see those weeds in the rocks. The weeds that are WAY bigger than the corn plants. Well they are EVERYWHERE!



I'm just going to admit right up front, I am not great about doing yard work. Just drive by my house and you will know this is true. We finally got the rose bushes under control, but I can't keep up with the weeds! Thanks to my mom (who was out last week) we got a good start on them though. I'm trying to make it a habit now for all of us to go out right after breakfast and pull weeds for 20-30 minutes.

Here are the boys examining a snail we found while weeding.


The other tactic I'm using to keep them out there and involved is having AP play Larryboy and the Rumor weed with D (destroying all the little weeds and trying to find the mother weed) and playing warrior cats with AJ (we are the medicine cats gathering herbs for our clan). Like my mom says, yard work should be fun and rewarding. We're working on making it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment