Monday, February 28, 2011
Spreading Kindness
At the end of December Janay asked our laurel class presidency to come up with a theme for our class to focus on in 2011; something they could work on as a class that could also help unify them. They decided they wanted to focus on service, and use the "Pay It Forward" idea. So we have challenged the girls to do some kind of service each week. I made this bucket and filled it with bite size candy bars so that if they have done service that week they get to take from the bucket on Sunday.
We have also been drawing names from our class at the beginning of each month and spend that month doing secret service for whose name we drew. I have made slips with each of their names, addresses, favorite candy, and favorite color on. We are hoping that this will help them get to know each other better as they are serving one another. I made the poster of a garden and as a reminder added the words, "Spread Kindness like Wildflowers. . . and watch it grow." We punched out little flowers to put on for each act of service we do for our secret persons. Once the garden is full of flowers we will do something really fun as a class. Our goal is to have the garden full by the end of the year, but I'm thinking (hoping) they will get it done sooner than that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks Nikki! I needed that :)
ReplyDelete